Monday, August 21, 2006

Back Home!

Ah, back home in Ontario! Don't know what the difference is this time after I got off the plane. collecting my bags and hopped in my car. While I was driving to my Mom's place for a dinner and it hit me like a brick. I noticed the smells of the trees, the cut grass, that smell of mosture just before it's about to rain, the flowers and then I realized that I take all this for granted. like Being able to drive on more than 3 KM of paved road that they have in Iqaluit, plus not worry about hitting the massive potholes either(quite numerous to boot).

The price of food doesn't seem that outrageous down here compaired to the prices up North. $12.49 for 4L of 2% compaired to the $5 we pay down here. $3 for the cheap Bread that we pay $0.99 for. $12 for a Pineapple that is considered outragious at $4. I could go on forever, so I'll just tell you that a one bedroom Apartment the is furnished goes from $2000- 3000, heat and light extra! High speed cable is $80 per month.

This is a good thing that they only have Subway, Pizza Hut and KFC in Iqaluit. but at $21.49 for the one foot combo at Subway and $39.99 for 20 peices of Chicken at KFC it kicked my fast food habit quickly. Even with my cure from the grease monster I still had a need for a real pizza, not Pizza Hut's version of a pizza. I finally cracked and bought a $7 Cheeseburger that goes for $2 down here. I found a Chinese food place in Iqaluit! It wasn't the as good as the Wok house in Prescott, but they did have this elusive red sauce for the Chicken Balls that I've heard of, quite tasty!

This is the second time that I've returned home here in Ontario and realized that how very good we really have it here compaired to the places I've been. So the next time a guy/Gal is whining about some petty thing, I'm just going to slap them!

5 Comments:

At 8:59 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Palmer said...

I am glad to hear that out of all the things you missed most...it was the grease. ;-)

 
At 10:18 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger skeeter said...

I think I've been to that Chinese place! It wasn't half bad, considering Chinese is about as far from traditional dishes up north as you can get!

 
At 1:52 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger skeeter said...

yes, yes....sounds right

 
At 8:03 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger skeeter said...

*shrug* Maybe if work would send me! ;-)
I personally kinda liked it, you know, for the short time I was there (in the summer, of course) but I'm not sure I could justify the costs.
Besides, I'm going south this year!! :-D

 
At 9:57 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger skeeter said...

*LOL*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home