Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Arctic Update!



I'll get back to the picture after I tell you that it was above freezing today! Yes, it was 1C, phew it was a scorcher and I might have even opened the parka because it was warm! This is the first time it has been above freezing for me since May 7Th. The down side to the great weather is that I'll be going up to Resolute on Friday and according to the weather network it is a balmy -12C.

OK , why the picture of the plane. first a little history of the air route from Iqaluit to Resolute. When the mine at little Cornwallis Island was open, First Air had a 727 flying back and forth. Well when the mine closed they replaced the 727 with this, A Hawker Siddely 748. So now instead of 3 hour 15 Min flight turned into a 5+ hour flight. oh yes, it gets better! This plane's right engine would regularly catch fire and I know of two occasions when the plane had to do an emergency lading while they repaired the engine. So other that tacking on two hours flight time the thought of dying was more of a concern! Well after a few fires First Air has replaced the POS (piece of shit) with another aircraft that isn't as old as I am! The upside, other than not going down in a blaze of glory, is that they have shaved half an hour off the trip.

The best part of getting to Resolute at this time of the year. It will be light 24 hours a day!

UPDATE: Well the news today is the plane that I've been making fun of is the one that we'll be taking up to Resolute! The guy I work with up here is all worried and he has flown in many different types of aircraft many of times! I'm case I don't make it. I should make a will!

2 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Palmer said...

That picture of the plane looks like a model! It is quite funny.

Pollcrazy, can you tell me a few things that are on my mind?

1_ Are you in a different timezone than Ottawa?

2_ Do you get to watch the Playoffs while you are up there?

 
At 9:09 AM, May 25, 2007, Blogger Pollcrazy said...

When in Iqaluit I'm in the same time zone as you in Ottawa. When In Resolute I'm in central time zone (-1 hour).

I didn't have TV in the apartment here in Iqaluit, but the big screen at the bar and the cold beer made it better! Yes I'll have bell express vue in Resolute and I'll be in front of a TV come Monday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home